Speed-Dreams is available for Windows and Linux, and available for free download from
Speed Dreams is a fork of the famous open racing car simulator Torcs, aiming to implement exciting new features, cars, tracks and AI opponents to make a more enjoyable game for the player, as well as constantly improving visual and physics realism.
In other words, Speed Dreams is the place:
- where developers can try their ideas and have every chance to get them released to the end-users (democracy is the main principle ruling the dev team),
- where end-users can enjoy the completion of these ideas and give their opinion about it, and/or make new suggestions.
So, if you find your or some people's Torcs patch proposals don't integrate the official release as quickly as you would have loved, you have reached the right place!
Anyone can join the development team, contributions to Speed Dreams may take place in many domains:
- The core code itself, and its numerous subjects : user interface, physics engine, 3D graphics engine, race management, input device related code, file formats, ... to enhance, optimize, make more up-to-date, fix bugs, port to another platform ...
- the robot(s) code (AI racing)
- the cars design or tuning
- the tracks design
- the documentation
Current features of Speed-Dreams as of 2.0 beta:
- 38 tracks
- 16 tracks with full scenery and terrain
- 28 cars
- Animated drivers with some cars
- 10 camera modes
- Close to realistic physics
- Experimental full 3D physics engine (user selectable)
- Supported input devices: Keyboard, Wheel, Joystick, Mouse, Gamepad
- Customizable controls
- Automatic shifting, ABS, ASR
- 2 completely different AI opponent sets, Simplix and USR